Diskobay from South to North, 7 days/ 6 nights, summer 2019
The tour package includes
Day 1: Ilulissat JAVNumber of nights: 1Hotel Icefiord
Day 2-3: Qasigiannguit JCHNumber of nights: 2Hotel Diskobay - Qasigiannguit
Day 4: Ilulissat JAVNumber of nights: 1Hotel Icefiord
Day 5: Glacier Lodge EqiNumber of nights: 1Glacier Lodge Eqi - comfort Glacier Lodge Eqi - standard Glacier Lodge Eqi - luxury tents
Day 6: Ilulissat JAVNumber of nights: 1Hotel Icefiord
The tour package inlcudes: All transfers by ship, marked with a blue line on the map to the right. Transportation to/from the harbour by mini-bus. Accommodation incl. breakfast and linen. Full board at overnight stays at Glacier Lodge Eqi. Any questions please call ? +45 61 79 15 22 or mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Opening hours weekdays: 09.00 - 15.00 GMT+1
What to see on this trip
Visit Eqi-glacier. Calving every hour diretcly to the see. Glacier front +200 meter high and +4 kilometer wide.
Humpback-, minke-, and fin whales can be seen.
Hike to Icecap is possible from Glacier Lodge Eqi. (Guided hike sold separately).
You will see a lot of Icebergs.....we gaurantee
Experience Midnight Sun
Midnight sun is visible between early-June and mid-July. You will experience very short nights (dusk) months before and after
Day 1, 4, 6: Ilulissat JAV
Ilulissat - Jakobshavn
Welcome to Ilulissat. Ilulissat is the third largest town in Greenland, also called Jakobshavn, and rewards you with one of the greatest natural wonders of the world: Ilulissat Icefiord/Kangia. The Icefiord became one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites in 2004 and is the birthplace of the massive collection of icebergs that have calved from the Sermeq Kujalleq glacier, one of the most productive glaciers in the world.
Ilulissat is the perfect iceberg paradise in Greenland. Ilulissat is a charming town, and the colourful houses on the hill are a beautiful mix with modern buildings in correlation between man and nature.
What to see and do in Ilulissat
- City walk
A walk around town on your own or with a guide is a must do. Ilulissat is, no doubt, a unique place and the view to the impressive icebergs floating in the Disko Bay is a spectacular sight. Around the town you will see sled dogs waiting for the winter to come.
Centrally placed in the town we find “brættet”, where fishermen and local hunters sell their fresh catch to citizens and tourists. The supply is varied, and you will often find halibut, cod, seal and occasionally reindeer -, musk -, and whale meat.
The town also houses 2 interesting museums: Ilulissat Museum, the birthplace of famous arctic explorer Knud Rasmussen, and the art museum, which displays some beautiful watercolour paintings of the local painter Emmanuel A. Pedersen.
- Kayak harbour
The harbour is centrally placed in the old part of town next to the hospital. Here you might be lucky to see the locals kayaking and practising the Eskimo roll.
The town provides a well-stocked supply of shops selling beautiful handicraft etc. and you will easily find great and unique souvenirs. Some of the local artists have a workshop near by the harbour, and people are welcome to pop in to see them processing bone and tooth into beautiful jewellery.
The dog sledding season begins in September and normally ends in May. During the 4 months in between, the dogs usually are inactive. New litters are raised and the puppies ravage and bite in everything within their reach.
The fresh air stimulates your appetite and fortunately you will find several good restaurants in Ilulissat. They naturally use fresh Greenlandic commodities in their cooking. You might as well start looking forward to delicious lamb, reindeer, musk, shrimps and halibut - Takana!
Nature and Hiking
When hiking to the old settlement of Sermermiut, you are walking along Ilulissat Ice Fiord. from here the view of the stranded icebergs is absolutely perfect.
- Sailing among the Icebergs
Go on a boat trip among the icebergs, under the midnight sun - it is an experience for life!
If you want to experience the Kangia glacier and the enormous icebergs in Disko Bay from a different perspective, you can do so by helicopter from Ilulissat.
- Whale Safari
It is possible to go on a whale safari surrounded by icebergs in the Disko Bay. The boat trip gives you plenty of time to observe the giants of the sea at close range.
World of Greenland offers guided tours in Ilulissat – read more here www.wog.gl
Day 2-3: Qasigiannguit JCH
Qasigiannguit - Christianshåb
Qasigiannguit is beautifully situated in the Disko Bay and surrounded by high and steep mountains rising approx. 450 meters. It is a modern town with everything you need, yet still an original settlement full of atmosphere with everything to be found at a walking distance.
What to see and do in Qasigiannguit
- Walk around town
Take a walk a see the many colored houses and feel the atmosphere. The number of cars is limited and you will often bump into “Mr. and Mrs. Greenland” strolling around town.
This is the local fish market, where local hunters sell today’s catch. Have a look and see the varied supply of halibut, cod, seal and occasionally reindeer -, musk -, and whale meat.
- "Live Settlement”
On selected Sundays the city museum in Qasigiannguit illustrates life in Greenland around 18th century.
- Historical turf huts
It is possible to gain a unique insight into the old way of living.
- Service in Qasigiannguit Church
On Sundays we recommend that you attend the service in this beautiful church.
- Relax on the outdoor terrace
From the hotel terrace there is a fabulous view of the Disko Bay. Humpback whales often swim in the waters just outside the hotel's restaurant and terrace.
Hiking - Qasigiannguit
Go on a trek to Kangerluluk, with the magnificent view over the Paradise Bay and the fascinating geological phenomena; a beautiful grain with Rosen quartz and sparkles in the hill. On this trek you may be lucky to see musk ox in the area.
Climb the city's most prominent peak, the 450-meter tall Mount Qaqqarsuaq. The view from the peak is impressive, overlooking Disko Bay and the ice fiord.
- Fishing at “Strømstedet"
Great fishing at the mouth of "Laksebugten".
Day 5: Glacier Lodge Eqi
Glacier Lodge Eqi70 km in beeline north of Ilulissat, we find a true pearl. This is the area near the glacier Eqip Sermia, known as "Eqi". The glacier front is 3.4 km, and the average height from the sea bed to the top is approximately 200 metres of which 30 to 180 metres are above sea level.
Itinerary for the Trip to Glacier Lodge Eqi
- 08.45: We leave Ilulissat in a comfortable boat, with plenty of space inside as well as outside. Upon departure tea and coffee is available and some bread will be served. Beer and soft drinks can be purchased. During the boat trip the guide will inform about the sights we pass by. We will most likely see giant icebergs from the Kangia glacier as well as seals and whales. We pass by the village of Rodebay with its traditional colourful houses, and beautiful location next to the sea.
- 13.00: We arrive at Egi. At a safe distance we now enjoy the view of the 180 m. glacier front and lunch is served on board the boat (lunch incl.). For the next two hours, we witness big chunks of heavy ice breaking off the glacier and trembling intensely into the sea.
- 14.50: The boat calls at Port Victor at Ice Camp Eqi and we are only a short distance away from the glacier. Those who will be staying overnight now leave the boat and the rest stay on board. On shore the staff at Ice camp Eqi welcomes us and helps accommodate us in the huts. Upon this the guides will inform about the area and its historical importance and excursion options. Coffee/tea and cake is served during this. The rest of the day is at your own disposal. In the evening dinner is served at Café Victor. The stay at Eqi is full-board, drinks not included.
- On the departure day we offer a guided hike to the moraine (this hike is included in your overnight stay at Eqi). We leave Cafe Victor at 09.00. The trip takes us around the lagoon and close by the Egi glacier. From the edge of the moraine we will enjoy the view of the glacier and back at Glacier Lodge Eqi. We can just about see the lodge in the distance as a small dot in the wilderness.
- On days of departure from Glacier Lodge Eqi the boat leaves at 14.00. The boat returns, following the same course as on the way up, although the scenery seems quite different now. However, seals and whales are still a common sight. Coffee/tea and cake will be served (incl.) he boat returns to Ilulissat at 19.00 hours.
- Timeschedule can be changed, info will be given directly to all travellers.
There is a wide range of different opportunities to do beautiful hiking trips in the area around Ice Camp Eqi. The ground is relatively easy with no risk of getting lost. The staff at Ice Camp Eqi will assist with suggestions to trips in the area. Depending on the level of your hiking experience you can do the hikes by yourself or alternatively buy a guided tour (easy to order at Eqi upon arrival).
Hiking to the Lagoon, Moraine and the Glacier
We set off from the huts and hike around the small lagoon situated south at the glacier. In the lagoon you can often see big flock of geese during breeding season. The trip to the edge of the beautiful moraine rewards you with a view of the 180 metres high glacier front at very close range while immense lumps of ice break off into the sea. The trip will take approximately 4 hours.
A Day Trip leading into and up on the Ice Cap
The trip is long and varied and brings you through varied landscapes: lush lowlands, windswept highland, moraines and, not least, the ice cap with its canyons, rivers and glaciers. We follow the trail of Paul-Emile Victor leading into and up on the ice cap. In the period after the Second World War caterpillars supplying the famous ice cap expeditions of Paul-Emile Victor drove this way and today we see the remains of the machines and an old funicular. In the valley just before reaching the moraine we enjoy our lunch before setting off on the ice cap. The highlight of the day is the trek on the ice cap where we can see the spectacular phenomena of the ice sheet. After a long and hard day we return late in the afternoon and enjoy a well-deserved dinner.
Hike to the Delta
This hike will take you to the edge of the Delta with amazing views of the landscape. On the hike there and back you will also get spectacular views of the Eqi glacier. The hike takes you througt mountain terrain with relatively easy walking. It is possible to go on a guided trip.
Read more about Glacier Lodge Eqi: www.diskoline.dk/da/destination/glacier-lodge-eqi---eqi